Saturday, August 9, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

Sometimes, for some people, life seems so uncomplicated. But for me, for my life, Christian living is anything but uncomplicated. Take my day tomorrow:

Tomorrow is a Sunday. Good Christians will be at church, right? So therefore, to be a good Christian, I should be at church too, right?

Yeah, that's the easy answer.

My best friend's dad just passed away, and she asked me to stay with her tonight. Unfortunately, James's car has expired plates, so we are down to one car again. Kim lives 30 minutes from the church, so we can't exactly hitch a ride... and because James will have to drive to Kim's house to pick me up after he gets off work, and then drive us both back to church for the evening church... we won't be able to make that one until it's almost over too.

I'm caught in a trap... Either I miss church completely, to be a Christian to my closest friend and be there for her when she needs me, or I desert my friend in order to be able to say I'm a good Christian. Either way, someone will see me as a failure... Either way, I'll be doing something wrong.

Which is more right? To obey the letter of the law (which some would say the verse about not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together refers to not missing church), or to obey the spirit of the law (to show love to a friend when she most needs it)?

I'm packing my bags for Kim's house, believing that God has a plan.

No comments: